Online registration is now closed. Onsite registration will be available from 7:30 – 8:00 AM on Thursday outside the Permian Room on the 40th floor.
The oil and gas industry is broad and complicated and knowledge of the industry has become particularly useful during these turbulent times. We have partnered with Energy Training Resources, LLC to develop a special one-day training course called “Oil and Gas for Professionals.” The first session was held in Houston on February 8th and received great reviews.
IPAA recommends it for anyone involved with the industry including oil and gas company employees, supplier/contractor employees, attorneys, accountants, bankers, investors, traders, insurers, regulators, etc.
The one-day course, benefiting the IPAA Educational Foundation, will have an upstream focus with some midstream information, and will cover the following topics:
- The structure of the industry – Topics include: hydrocarbon characteristics and uses; industry sectors; oil and gas companies; national oil companies; suppliers and contractors; worldwide reserves and production; LNG overview, and recent industry dynamics in the U.S.
- Petroleum geology and exploration – Topics include: organic source; sediments and sedimentary rock; changes to the Earth’s crust over geologic time; oil and gas formation, migration and traps; unconventional oil and gas; and exploration methods, tools and functions. This section is so visually illustrated that even geologists give it high marks.
- Mineral rights and leasing – Topics include: minerals ownership; severability; rule of capture; common state regulations; leasing and other mineral interests; farmouts; joint operations; division orders and title opinions; complications with horizontal wells; federal onshore and offshore mineral rights; and common provisions in international mineral rights contracts.
- Drilling and completion – Topics include: well planning; site preparation and rig mobilization; rig structure and functions; all phases of drilling a horizontal well; hydraulic fracturing; offshore rig types; and subsea drilling. The discussion is supported by custom video that provides a rig-floor view and animations that show corresponding downhole activities.
- Development and production operations – Topics include: well evaluation; well completion; reservoir behavior; artificial lift; surface facilities; gas processing; depletion stages; offshore platform types; and reserves classification.
This training course qualifies for continuing professional development credit (CPE, CPD, RL, RPL and CPL credits). Use the corresponding links to the left for more information.
The IPAA Educational Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization.