Oil & Gas Overview Course
April 28, 2017
EVENT LINKS / FILES
Pre-registration is now closed. Onsite registration will be available outside of room 206 beginning at 7:30 AM on Friday. The onsite registration price is $350.
The address of the NRG Center is:
If you have questions, email Nikki McDermott.
NOTE: This course is open to both IPAA members and non-members.
The oil and natural gas industry is broad and complicated so we partnered with Energy Training Resources, LLC and developed an information-packed Oil and Gas Overview Course that links together the functional and commercial aspects of the industry. The course has an upstream focus with some midstream information and will thoroughly cover the following topics:
1. The structure of the industry - Topics include: hydrocarbon characteristics and uses; industry sectors; oil and gas companies; national oil companies; suppliers and contractors; worldwide reserves and production; LNG overview, and recent industry dynamics in the U.S.
2. Petroleum geology and exploration - Topics include: organic source; sediments and sedimentary rock; changes to the Earth's crust over geologic time; oil and gas formation, migration and traps; unconventional oil and gas; and exploration methods, tools and functions. This section is so visually illustrated that even geologists give it high marks.
3. Mineral rights and leasing - Topics include: minerals ownership; severability; rule of capture; common state regulations; leasing and other mineral interests; farmouts; joint operations; division orders and title opinions; complications with horizontal wells; federal onshore and offshore mineral rights; and common provisions in international mineral rights contracts.
4. Drilling and completion - Topics include: well planning; site preparation and rig mobilization; rig structure and functions; all phases of drilling a horizontal well; hydraulic fracturing; offshore rig types; and subsea drilling. The discussion is supported by custom video that provides a rig-floor view and animations that show corresponding downhole activities.
5. Development and production operations - Topics include: well evaluation; well completion; reservoir behavior; artificial lift; surface facilities; gas processing; depletion stages; offshore platform types; and reserves classification.
The course is recommended for oil and gas company employees, suppliers, contractors, attorneys, accountants, bankers, investors, traders, insurers, regulators, etc. and qualifies for continuing professional development credits (CPD, CPE, RL, RPL, and CPL).
Benefiting the IPAA Educational Foundation which is a 501(c)(3) organization.